As construction of the light rail system is nearing completion, pre-operational testing of the system will soon commence along Northbourne Avenue and Federal Highway. All elements of the light rail infrastructure are being tested including the light rail vehicles, the track, signaling and passenger information systems.
The testing of light rail vehicles along Northbourne Avenue and Federal Highway is an exciting milestone which will give many more people the opportunity to see and experience light rail vehicles (LRVs) travelling along the light rail track. At the same time, it is important for everyone in the community to be mindful of how to stay safe around light rail. Please follow these simple safety tips:
- Cross the tracks only at intersections and designated crossings, and look both ways before you cross the tracks.
- Stay alert when walking and cycling around the light rail corridor – light rail vehicles are quiet and take longer to stop than other vehicles.
- When driving near the light rail, do not queue across intersections. Wait for the path ahead to be clear before you drive across the tracks.
- Traffic light patterns at intersections are changing as the light rail integrates with the road network. Please stay alert and pay close attention to traffic light signals. Do not run red lights. Please be patient and wait for the green light.
What to expect during testing
- Testing of LRVs along Northbourne Avenue and Federal Highway will mostly take place between the hours of 5:00am and 9:00pm. Some limited LRV testing may take place between the hours of 9.00pm and 5.00am.
- A minimum of two LRVs will be on the tracks each day.
- “T Lights” will regulate LRV movements at intersections. LRVs must wait until they have a ‘go’ T-light signal before proceeding through intersections.
More information can be found by visiting www.canberra-metro.com.au. If you have any questions in relation to works in your local area, please contact Canberra Metro:
- Phone 1300 208 824
- Email email@example.com